Q: popping and grinding sound not starting

For the last day and a half when accelerating from a stop, my truck would sputter. The SES light came on indicating a misfire. This morning, after having rained all night, my truck made a horrible grinding sound and would not start. I tried again and noticed when I would try to give it gas, it would pop. The noise was coming from near the oil fill tube and below (and behind) the alternator. Hours later I tried again and it made a very loud popping sound a black smoke seemed to be present for a moment.

Recently changed: Spark plugs and wires Distributor Cap and Rotor Alternator

Within two years: fuel filter

Fuel system has pressure

3. popping and grinding sound not starting