Q: Poor gas mileage, sluggish engine. 1995 BMW 318is

I've been getting a very poor gas mileage ever since I bought this used car. It has a 1.4 L engine and I expected for it to be more economical. The engine is a bit sluggish as well. I put 215mm tires on the car, which is a bit wider than usual. Could this be the cause? How can I improve the gas mileage?

Hello there, poor gas mileage is a common issue with the 1995 BMW 318is. In most cases, wider tires are not recommended, but this likely would not drop gas milage significantly. The most likely causes would be spark plugs, coil, leaking fuel injectors, fuel pumps, vacuum leaks, or an exhaust leak. The gas mileage should return to its normal level once the fault is resolved. Have a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose why you are getting poor gas mileage. From there, they can recommend adjustments to have this addressed.