Q: Periodic smoke from tail pipe, on start up. not every time

Sometimes get smoke from tail pipe when start engine. Does not happen every time. Mechanic told me its blow back , and happens over time with high miles. I want to find source and fix

A: If you have a small amount of white smoke o...

If you have a small amount of white smoke out of your tailpipe in the morning is normal condensation that is being burned off from inside your muffler. You would only have to worry if you notice your coolant getting low, oil consumption excessive beyond 1 quart per 1000 miles, or you are using excessive amounts of fuel. If you are not having any of these problems then it is normal condensation burning off.

If you'd like a second opinion, feel free to contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, to come diagnose the smoke firsthand and suggest a fix from there.