Q: Performing an engine swap

I have a 4.0L V6 engine in my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. I was just wondering if I was able to exchange the motor in my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport for a 4.0L for a 1998 Ford Explorer 4x4. Are those engines compatible/interchangeable?

A: This is probably a doable swap. To minimize...

This is probably a doable swap. To minimize possible conflicts, swap everything from the "donor" vehicle": engine (with wiring and ECM), transmission (and it’s TCM and wiring) between vehicles. The possible snag is the transmission - the ’01 came with a 5R55E transmission while the ’98 came with either the 5R55E or a 4R44E.

A problem here is likely putting the 4R44E behind a 5R55E controller if that’s your only option. Consult some of the Explorer owner forums to see if anyone else has made this swap. If you need any assistance, be sure to consult a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can make sure the vehicle is safe and in good working order.