Q: Passenger side of roof is stuck

When I begin opening the roof of my convertible, the driver’s side does come off, but the passenger side sticks and won’t come loose. The only way it will release is if I push the button to close the roof. When doing that method, it detaches. I prefer to fix this myself if I can. Do you know how I can accomplish this?

A: It would be difficult to determine the exac...

It would be difficult to determine the exact cause of your BMW M3's issue without inspecting the latch that holds the convertible top to the passenger side of your vehicle. This latch may be damaged in some way that is preventing it from releasing unless the top is closed first.

By pressing the button in the close direction, this will allow the latch to move forward enough to clear the mechanism it attaches to and therefore the roof will then open.

It is possible that this issue could be fixed by replacing the latch and possibly the piece it latches to. However, I would not replace any parts without thoroughly inspecting the latch to determine if the latch is actually at fault. Convertible tops have many different mechanical parts that if one fails the entire system may not work correctly. If the latch is found to be working properly, further inspection of the convertible's mechanism will be required.