Q: Passenger side air bag light won't stay off

I am experiencing issues with the passenger side Air Bag Light. It keeps coming on when I have someone (over 145 lbs) sitting in the passenger seat. I had it calibrated, then I had the recall work done. Then I took it back again for a recalibration, and then the recall work was done a second time. If I start the car and everyone is already seated, the light seems to stay off. But, if I start the car and then later someone gets in, the light will come on shortly after they sit down. I drive a bit to see if it will shut off, and then it doesn't. So I have pull over, turn the car off, and then turn it back on so that it will go away. How can I correct this?

It does indeed sound like your problem is with the occupant weight sensor and/or its circuit. I’m assuming the recall you had performed was NHTSA 13V 069000, which involves replacing the occupant weight sensor.

If the dealership hasn’t been able to fix this problem, I suggest you have someone else take a look. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option to diagnose your Air Bag Light since we make house calls.