Q: Paint is not holding up to normal use on the road

I hope someone saved a lot of money when applying the paint and clear coat to my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, because it has not held up at all and will definitely cost me money when I sell the car! Very frustrated to have a car with 78,000 miles on it that looks like it has 178,000 miles! I need some way to stop the peeling of the paint on this vehicle. It is out of hand! What can I do?

The paint on your car is a multiple layer paint process that starts with a thorough cleaning of the surface to be painted. The primer coat is supposed to adhere to the surface and provide and adhesive surface for the color coat. The color coat is covered with a clear protective coat to help preserve the color. Over time the clear coat will wear way in areas most prone to wear(front of hood, top of hood, above windshield). Once the clear coat is gone, environmental factors, such as rain and dirt, will damage the color coat and further deteriorate the remaining clear coat, causing it chip and fade. The only solution is to have a paint shop re-prime and re-paint the surfaces as required.