Q: Overheats and blows cold air when heater is on

I could drive about 4 or five miles, temp gauge stays cold then temp rises quickly just pass half way to hot, when I turn heater on to cool down engine it blows cold air. When I park and turn the car off steam comes out from under the hood on passenger side

Hello.

From what you are describing it would appear to me that you may be having cooling system issues, or are running low on coolant. Low coolant can cause the engine to overheat, and if the level falls low enough can cause heater to blow cold air if no warm coolant is able to find its way into heater core. If there does not appear to be any leaks, I would refill the engine with coolant when it has cooled down and properly bleed the system to see if the problem continues and then go from there. If you want to have this looked at by a professional, a technician from YourMechanic can diagnose your overheating issue and let you know what needs repair.

3. Overheats and blows cold air when heater is on