Q: Overheating? Shutting off, leaking, wire hanging

This morning, my car would not get warm from the heat, it shut down and I quickly got it jumped and barley made it home with the temp gauge going really hot and not being able to turn right. Noticed leaking when I got home and then a little wire hanging from the plastic above the passenger side. Wasn't sure what that was or what is going on. Help please!!

A: From what you are describing, it sounds lik...

From what you are describing, it sounds like perhaps a drive belt may have broken off. The water pump is responsible for circulating coolant throughout the engine and to the heater core to provide interior heat. The alternator provides electrical power for the car once it is started. The power steering pump makes the steering easy to turn. All of these components are driven off the engine crank shaft pulley by a belt, or belts. If a belt breaks and falls off, these components will not turn. The engine can stall from lack of electrical power, overheat from coolant not circulating, and no power assist to the steering. If the "wire" you see hanging from bottom of the car on the passenger side, the "wire" may actually be fragments of a broken belt hanging down.

Have a certified technician look into the overheating and leaking as soon as possible. Continued driving with the engine overheating can can cause extensive damage.