Q: Overheating car

I put water in my car, but left the cap off and it started smoking white smoke, so I put the cap back on and the car overheated, took the cap off and heaps of water came out, and now the car keeps overheating what do I do?

Hello, thank you for writing in. To start lets discuss the radiator cap. The system is designed to work under a certain amount of pressure. If the cap is off, the pressure will release through the opening and cause it to overflow. If the system is overheating with the cap on, then there is a different issue. The first thing to consider is the water pump. If this is not providing adequate flow through the system, then hot coolant stays around the engine and does not transfer heat away from it. This will lead to overheating. The thermostat can also cause overheating by lack of coolant flow. It does this by not releasing new cold coolant into the passages around the engine. Check into the condition of these two components and take further diagnosis from there.

3. Overheating car