Q: Overheating

While driving down the high way a pickup truck tire blew out in front of me and no where to swerve I hit the tire when getting of highway I notice my truck was overheating so I pulled over let it cool down added fluid and got it back home unfortunately the truck blew a head with a huge crack so I hired help to fix the problem pulled the heads bought a new head from auto zone and had the other resurfaced I also had bought and installed new hoses, radiator ,thermostat, water pump, heater core, temp sensor, temp switch, and new pig tails plus other engine parts like 2 knock sensors push rods rocker arms springs and vales also I bought the 95 dollar gasket kit from orileys new bolts for the heads new bolts for the exhaust manifold and for the exhaust joints anyways I hired a guy to put it all back together who did but I had to go back in and fix a few mistakes like non grounded wires one knock sensor wasn't connected now I'm having a overheating problem I can't seem to find

A: It sounds as if you have covered everything...

It sounds as if you have covered everything, so unfortunately that leaves a few not so good possibilities.

• Did the correct head gaskets get used and were they installed correctly? If not, coolant will not flow properly through the motor.
  • The same goes for the intake manifold gaskets. If the wrong coolant intake ports are blocked off, coolant will not flow into the intake manifold and to the radiator. Does the radiator get hot?
  • Is the thermostat installed correctly and if so, does it open at the correct temperature? You can confirm this by feeling the upper radiator hose. It should become hot when the thermostat opens. The best method to confirm the temperature of the motor is with the use of an infrared thermometer, which you can purchase one from your local auto parts store. The thermostat should open at around 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Is the serpentine belt installed correctly? If it is routed wrong, the water pump can turn backwards and it won't circulate the coolant properly.
  • Is the water pump impeller push coolant in the correct direction? I have seen this with manufacturers other than Chevy, but some water pumps are designed to turn in opposite directions.
  • Is the gauge showing the correct temperature. Again, you can confirm this with an infrared temperature gun.
  • Is the fan clutch locking up and pulling air through the radiator. Definitely check this if the truck runs at the correct temperature at highway speeds.

As you can see, there are number of problems that can create overheating. Determining if any of these problems are your issue can be problematic. It usually takes an experienced technician to decide. If you require further assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to inspect your overheating vehicle.

Good luck!