Q: Overheating

My car is still overheating after I took my radiator to get it checked (it was good), I replace the cooling fan switch, the ECT, the thermostat, the water pump, the fans WILL only turn on with the a/c and the fan relay is good... head gaskets seem to be good since there is no water on oil or oil in water...what else can it be?

A: Hello and thanks for your question. The pro...

Hello and thanks for your question. The problem with your vehicle lies within the wiring from the ECT and the cooling fans. You mentioned that the cooling fans only come on when the A/C switch is on. This is because the A/C circuit has a different setup with the cooling fans.

There is a separate circuit for engine management cooling. Check the plug on the cooling fans for any broken pins or corrosion and then trace the wires to the ECT and check the connections for any broken pins or corrosion. It is possible that the wiring harness could have a break in it.

Also, the fan motor could have a burned wire on the motor itself. If there are two fans, check to see which fan comes on when the A/C is on. If only one fan comes on, then the other fan could be burned up. Remove the harness to the fan that is not working and check the resistance on the terminals. If the resistance is high, the the fan motor is burned up. I recommend seeking out a professional, as one from Your Mechanic, to help you determine why the car is overheating.