Q: Overheating

Car is over heating horribly. Like within 15 miles or less. I have taken it to repair shops they have replaced the thermostat, radiator, and waterpump. I have to put in over a gallon of coolant/water before driving it and 15 or less miles down the road it's over heating and the water i put in is gone. There is no visible leaks. No water in the oil. What else could it be? Please help!

Hello, It sounds like you have had nearly most of the cooling system replaced recently. Aside from having cooling system leaks, the only other way for coolant to be escaping would be via evaporation (in some cases this can happen if the radiator cap is faulty) or a blown head gasket that may be in its early stages. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. Damage of this type may not cause overheating, coolant in the oil or any other outward sign. Many people overlook this as the cause of engine misfires, because the blown head gasket does not also give the other more common symptoms such as steam coming from the motor or from the exhaust. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.