Q: Overdrive and reverse is out. There is also a grinding noise and trouble codes P1289 and P0340.

I've been hearing a grinding sound under the hood on the driver side. I would hear it more the faster I was going usually around 50-60 mph. Now my overdrive and reverse is out. I can drive it kinda ok with overdrive off. Also it seems like it's not wanting to shift into 1st or 2nd. I checked the computer and got the codes P1289 and P0340. I need to know how to make my car run properly again.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The code P1289 is for the cylinder head temperature sensor input being high. Check the harness to the cylinder head temperature sensor and check to see if there is any corrosion or any moisture. If the input is high, then the sensor could be stuck in the operating position when the engine is running cold before it gets to operating temperature.

As far as the P0340 code, this refers to the camshaft position sensor and registers that is has failed. I recommend replacing the camshaft position sensor, which will help the engine with a better drivability.

The reason that the transmission is not going into overdrive and reverse, is the clutch packs inside your transmission are not being applied. This could be caused by the clutch pack being worn out or the transmission control module (valve body) not supplying pressure to the clutches. Check the harness to the transmission and make sure that all connections are tight. Check the transmission for the fluid level and ensure that it is full and light red. If the transmission fluid is dark red, then the oil is varnished from heat build up. If the transmission oil is black, then the oil is burnt.

The sound that you are hearing is a gear grinding sound, which could be caused by one of the clutch pack materials embedded into the gear train. It is likely that you may need to rebuild or replace your transmission. If you would like to have this all scoped out by an expert, have a certified professional from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to diagnose the Check Engine Light and the grinding noise, and advise you on all of the correct repairs.

• Overdrive and reverse is out. There is also a grinding noise and trouble codes P1289 and P0340.