Q: over revving and gears bang in hard each time

i have a 1997 honda prelude h22 automatic rebuilt transmission and my gears keep over reving at each gear and there banging into gears each time. From stop to go it sometimes feels like it slips out of gear and just revs over 3,500rpm and than jumps into gear and tugs my car. im not sure if its my engine or transmission? the car has 150k on it with new spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, ignition coil, transmission solenoid and vtec solenoid

A: Hello there, thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 1997 Honda Prelude. Your engine will not cause the transmission to slip and shift hard. You will need to have the transmission checked for proper pressures and shift solenoid operation. This could also be due to a valve body sticking. If you would like to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the potential transmission slip and the banging noise that you are hearing while shifting.