Q: Orange-reddish liquid leak & only drives in first gear

My SUV is leaking orange-reddish liquid and does start, but will only drive in first gear (and barely drive even then). It does go in reverse, but hesitates to go, and sometimes won’t even go by pushing the gas pedal. What should I do to get my car to shift beyond first gear and solve these problems?

Hello. The orange-reddish liquid is most likely transmission fluid leaking. This could prevent the SUV from shifting into the other gears and/or moving. Adding transmission fluid may get to the SUV to shift into the other gears, but if you are having this problem now, the transmission will need to be replaced or rebuilt as soon as possible. If you want to have this looked at, a technician from YourMechanic can inspect your transmission fluid leak and let you know the severity of this scenario along with the repairs that are necessary.