Q: Opinion on diesel cars

Do you like diesel cars? I have a diesel myself-VW TDI and it's quite good. German diesel cars are excellent. The Germans master diesel. My Golf is economical but nowhere near as smooth as my gas car. Why isn't diesel popular in the US?

A: You kind of answered your own question righ...

You kind of answered your own question right there. They are not smooth. Americans typically like smooth stuff and they don't like diesels because they aren't smooth. Plus, they can smell pretty bad. No matter what you do, diesels smell. If you've ever been in Mexico City, have you noticed how much it stinks? There are a lot of diesels there and they just stink the environment to high heaven. I wouldn't want to live in a place where everybody is driving diesels because they smell. The other thing is - they are very expensive to fix when they break. People I know who've owned diesels that have broken down know that they cost so much money to fix that, a lot of times, they never bought another diesel car. That's why they are not popular in the United States.