Q: Opinion of the VW Golf MK 31.9 TDI engine

I'm a proud owner of '98 VW Golf MK 31.9 TDI. What is your opinion on the engine?

A: The engines are good; that is not the probl...

The engines are good; that is not the problem with Volkswagens. Volkswagen problems are more electronic - computer systems break down on them. So, you'd never want to go through the trouble of fixing the wires, you'd want to keep a good battery in them. Make sure the alternator is charging everything fully and deal with that. Keep changing the engine oil and the filter on the engine. The engine can last an awful long time. That's one of the strongest points of those vehicles.