Q: Ongoing engine/exhaust problem Volkswagon Polo

Hi my VW polo is having engine/exhaust issues which I cannot solve. The management light flashes when idling and the engine starts shaking violently which causes the car to lose all power at times when driving. A mechanic diagnosed the problem as faulty coil packs and spark plugs all of which have been replaced yet this is still happening :( what could be wrong? Thanks, Dan

Hi there - to be helpful from a diagnostic point of view, having the problem codes set by the engine would be very helpful. Many other components can fail, causing the rough running symptoms you still experience: stuck exhaust gas recirculation valve, clogged or leaky injectors, low fuel pressure, air leak in the intake, etc. Most auto parts stores will read the codes for you for free on a ’time-available" basis. I recommend a rough running inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Ongoing engine/exhaust problem Volkswagon Polo