Q: onfreeway when sudden loss of power,clanking noise from right side bottom of motor, then stopped running-

i was cruising highway speeds when suddenly clanking noise(sounded like bearing or rod knock)then motor stopped running. When it came to stop,i tried to start motor, it took a few cranks then started & died. Tried restart,got started, when tried to accelerate to move clanking noise started not real loud, i was able to move vehicle to a parking spot9100 ft) then stopped engine & had vehicle towed home. Have done nothing since then & i need to pull head & see what possibly came loose. Car had no smoke,but still will start & run at idle speed. Possibly had something contaminated oil,which may have caused failure. 1997 Toyota Camry LE v6 auto with a/c. exellent runner always till that critical day-bought new best car ever. 289000miles. I'm sad!!!!

Hello. From the symptoms you’ve described it’s very possible that you suffered some serious engine failure, probably a bearing failure of some sort. This is not uncommon for an engine with that high of mileage. The engine can probably be replaced, but I would consider replacing the vehicle with a newer model.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the noise coming from your engine first hand to pinpoint this specific issue.

3. onfreeway when sudden loss of power,clanking noise from right side bottom of motor, then stopped running-