Q: onfreeway when sudden loss of power,clanking noise from right side bottom of motor, then stopped running-

i was cruising highway speeds when suddenly clanking noise(sounded like bearing or rod knock)then motor stopped running. When it came to stop,i tried to start motor, it took a few cranks then started & died. Tried restart,got started, when tried to accelerate to move clanking noise started not real loud, i was able to move vehicle to a parking spot9100 ft) then stopped engine & had vehicle towed home. Have done nothing since then & i need to pull head & see what possibly came loose. Car had no smoke,but still will start & run at idle speed. Possibly had something contaminated oil,which may have caused failure. 1997 Toyota Camry LE v6 auto with a/c. exellent runner always till that critical day-bought new best car ever. 289000miles. I'm sad!!!!

A: Hello. From the symptoms you’ve described i...

Hello. From the symptoms you’ve described it’s very possible that you suffered some serious engine failure, probably a bearing failure of some sort. This is not uncommon for an engine with that high of mileage. The engine can probably be replaced, but I would consider replacing the vehicle with a newer model.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the noise coming from your engine first hand to pinpoint this specific issue.