Q: One morning it was cold and my car didn't start up. So when I got home from work at 4:00. I tried to start it IP it did. The next

Yesterday morning it was cold and my car wouldn't start. So when I got home about 4:00 I started it up and it cranked up. Now this morning it did the same thing. What is that

In cold weather, engines need more fuel - a "richer" fuel mixture - to start. If the fuel mixture is too lean - not enough fuel - the vehicle may not start. Then later in the day when it may be a little warmer, the fuel mixture may be just enough to get the vehicle started. A number of components can cause this, even without setting a fault code and turning the check engine light on. If the coolant temperature sensor is shorted, or "lazy" - not responding or signaling quickly enough, the engine control unit may not signal that it is a "cold start" so the engine needs more fuel. The same can happen if the ambient temperature and/or barometric pressure sensors are faulty.

A certified technician can connect a diagnostic scan tool to the vehicle to correctly diagnose why it is hard to start.

• One morning it was cold and my car didn't start up. So when I got home from work at 4:00. I tried to start it IP it did. The next