Q: On highway engine revved, accelerated and pedal stuck

The transmission in my car is not shifting correctly. This was a very frightening occurrence when it happened. It made me feel like the car was in control of me, rather than my being in control of it! I was accelerating on the highway and while I was depressing the accelerator I used the paddle shifters to upshift. Even with my foot off the pedal, the engine revved higher and accelerated. Then the RPMs stuck at approximately 5000 RPM. I pressed the brake pedal, but the car wouldn’t slow down. After managing to get around the traffic ahead of me, I took the next available exit on the highway, which was about a quarter of a mile total. Then I was able to slow down the car and turn it off. When I turned it back on, the engine again revved extremely high and the brake pedal stuck to the floorboard. I called for road service, but after that the car started without trouble. I proceeded to the dealership and after they worked on it, I read the receipt. It was apparent they had not understood what had happened. They drove the car but couldn’t reproduce the problem. I had it re-diagnosed by a 2nd dealership and he found that the transmission fluid is burned. I would appreciate your telling me your assessment of this whole experience. Do you think there is anything else besides the transmission fluid that should be fixed?

A: Hello. The transmission itself will not cau...

Hello. The transmission itself will not cause the engine to over-rev like this on your 2013 Acura ILX. It sounds like you either are having a failure in the throttle body or you may have a computer issue.

I always check the floor mats in the car first to make sure that they are not causing the pedal to hang up. If they are clear, then I clean out the throttle body and check its operation. If it seems to be failing or if it is not reading correctly, then I would replace the throttle body.

If the throttle body is fine, then the engine control module needs to be replaced.

These types of issues can be hard to diagnose if the issue does not occur all of the time. If you want to have it looked at further, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the cause of the faulty acceleration and advise you on what should be done.