Q: Older car, worth putting money into?

Im currently a student driving a 1999 Ford Contour with 172000 miles on it. The car runs surprisingly smooth and strong. I have about $5000 saved up. Will my contour last another 4 years if i invested a portion of that money into it? Or should do you believe the car wont last that long and should buy another used car?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The future maintenance is going to depend on the past repairs that have been done. With the age of the vehicle, there are a relatively large amount of components that may need maintenance. They include a transmission fluid and filter, spark plugs, water pump, fuel filter and pump, suspension components, tires, oil and filter, coolant flush, distributor, and anything else that is showing signs of wear. You will need to consider the things which have been done in the last year or so, and do an inspection on the vehicle. After that you can make a list of potential repairs, and compare them to the down payment on something new. For more help examining the vehicle, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Older car, worth putting money into?