Q: Old car needs $4500 in repairs - is it worth it?

The Toyota mechanic says the car needs a new L/F hub and wheel bearing assembly, front & rear struts with mounts & dust boots and an alignment, plus both front lower ball joints, for about $4500 - is it worth it? I've had the car 16 years and have put on 120,000 miles. I'm not sure if this is a good time to think about getting a new car, but if the work gets done and the car will last another few years, maybe it's worth it. Any advice? Thanks!

Hi there. Are the repairs worth it? That’s a decision that you have to ultimately make for yourself. However, I may be able to assist you with some "food for thought". Have you acquired a second opinion and/or estimate? Always make sure you have at least 2 estimates to compare prices of repairs. If you consider the cost of purchasing another vehicle, the unknowns if it is used, increased insurance costs, and possible increased cost of parts, then this may help you. At $4500 spread over the course of 24 months is $375/month; spread out over the course of 36 months is $125. If the car lasts another 3 years, compare payments on another car at $125 or compare it at the 24 month at $375. Determine what works best for you in this situation. A good safety inspection of your vehicle may be in order to provide that second estimate I mentioned. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a safety inspection.