Q: Old BMW's fuel pump powered with 12 volts is clogged

I took out the fuel pump from the old BMW and powered it with a 12-volt but it blocks directly. I guess it is clogged. Is there any way to get it running again?

A: Unfortunately, there isn’t. Those things ar...

Unfortunately, there isn’t. Those things are electronic and if the brushes finally wear out, it’s time for a new pump. The way you test it is--you get the inlet to the pump and put a little hose on it and stick it in a little container of gasoline and have the pump sticking by a bucket, and see if it pumps the fluid because you don’t want it running dry. If you do that and it doesn’t pump, it is just shut and it is time for a new pump. Especially if it is an old BMW, these will tend to wear out over time. If you need help with this, I would have a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car and replace your fuel pump if necessary.