Q: ok im getting a pontiac sunfire, it turns over and revs but wont shift. guy says its the ignition switch

as described above

Hello. If the engine is running but you cannot put the car in gear, there could be an issue with the shift linkage (that is a mechanical linkage that connects the shift lever to the manual valve lever in the transmission). If the shift linkage is working and properly adjusted , but the car still will not move, there is a problem with the valve body in the transmission, the torque converter, hydraulic system in transmission (oil pump, etc.) and/or broken internal transmission parts such as seals, o-rings, pistons, and clutches. YourMechanic could perform a pre-purchase inspection for you to give you an idea of what it would cost to get the car running, and whether it has other problems as well. That way you can make a sensible offer, knowing what your repair costs will likely be. All cars are repairable so the car does have "some" value; you just want to make sure you fully factor in all of the repair costs.

• ok im getting a pontiac sunfire, it turns over and revs but wont shift. guy says its the ignition switch