Q: OIl viscosity question

I have a vehicle that wastes about a quart of oil for every 4000 miles driven, which is when I personally due my oil change. I use 5W-30 Castrol synthetic oil and my car has about 122,000 miles. I also use a good filter to accompany the good oil I put on my vehicle. Is it safe to put a more viscous oil and see if it looses less than with the 5W-30 oil I usually put?

Hey there, using a quart of oil every 4000 miles is not that uncommon for a vehicle of this mileage. The most common cause of wasting oil is due to oil leaks. Switching to a high milage oil may help, most high milage oils are a thicker viscosity. If problems persist, a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose any causes for oil loss that may be present.