Q: Oil pan is leaking

Car has been leaking for a while from around the oil pan, Jaguar wants a fortune to replace gasket because they say that the engine/transmission must be lifted to get at it. Is there another method of getting at it that isn't so involved and costly? Thanks, DJ

A: Hello. Thank you for writing in. Unfortunat...

Hello. Thank you for writing in. Unfortunately the oil pan is a pain to get to on most vehicles. There really isn’t another way to access the pan. High performance compact vehicles can be even more crowded making access to certain components difficult. When it comes to performing a job like this, with a component that is so critical to the life of the vehicle, technicians know the importance of getting it done correctly the first time. They need full access to remove the pan entirely and have enough room to inspect and clean the area. Once the area is clean, that new gasket has to go on perfectly. From there the pan has to be replaced, and the retaining bolts tightened down to a specific torque in an order which wont warp the gasket. Its not a complicated job, but it is one that needs to be done precisely. If you are concerned about the price, you may want to get a second opinion.