Q: Oil leak turned into oil cooler replacement

My car started leaking oil so I took it to the KIA dealership. They told me that the oil pan seal needed replacement. I took the car in yesterday for fix Oil Pan and get my coolant flushed. When they called me back, they found the oil pan was not the culprit leaking. The oil cooler was leaking. My question is how long does the oil cooler last? Is it a wear part and need to be replaced several times throughout the life span of the car? Please advise.

A: Hi there. There are two types of oil cooler...

Hi there. There are two types of oil coolers on many cars, the engine oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler. It’s not a part that typically wears out frequently, however, sometimes leaks can develop due to being hit by an object or seals and gaskets failing.

As far as how long an oil cooler will last, that’s hard to answer due to the fact that it’s a mechanical part that can fail for many reasons that simply can’t be predicted. However, if it were to happen again, one of our local ASE certified mechanics can complete the oil cooler replacement for you.