Q: Oil leak

The oil leak is due to crankshaft end play being out about an eighth. It's too expensive to repair and afraid to disturb anything else as that's how this started. It seems like a lot of oil leaking but the dipstick shows full. So I'm confused about that. And I wonder if an oil leak sealant would help?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy ...

Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. If it is leaking a lot of oil, then the source of the leak should be pinpointed. Excessive end play in the crankshaft can cause this but it would also cause a number of other issues. At this point, the oil leak needs to be located as the rear main seal and the oil pressure sensor are the most common leakage points. If the leak cannot be easily found, I usually add dye to the oil and check it with a UV light. Then the leak can be found and repaired, along with anything that is causing it.

If you would like help finding the leak and repairing it, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.