Q: Oil leak bottom blowby - 1994 Plymouth Acclaim

I just put a new engine from the junkyard into my car. I drove it about 2500 miles but it started to burn oil around 2 weeks ago. It went through the oil slowly and blew gray smoke during long idles. The PCV valve is good and the valve stem seals. I think it might be the piston rings. I don’t want to fix it though and will put up with some blowby. I’ll keep driving it for a while. But 3 weeks later I had a sudden oil leak. My car went through about a quart every 30 miles. The oil was all over the bottom of the block, so I can’t tell where the leak is. The leaking oil is only as high as the valve cover on the firewall head and up to the head on the front side. Could the oil be leaking from the head gaskets on this engine model or would the galleys intersect with the coolant galleys and mix? I have no oil in my antifreeze or vice versa. Could it be the valve covers? Do you think both valve covers are leaking at the same time? What do you think?

Hey there. You may have a problem with the head has too much sludge in the head and clogged the oil return passages in the top of the heads. The clogged passages would account for the oil burning if the valve covers are getting full of oil and drowning the valves out and it will get oil in the cylinders. Remove valve covers and clear out the oil drain back passages. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the oil leak and have this issue addressed.