Q: Oil changed but the crush washer wasn't installed on a 2010 Nissan Altima

I've just changed the oil on filter on my 2010 Nissan Altima and realized after that the brass crush washer was not put on. I have no leak. Should I plug the old oil with a finger and reinstall the crush washer or get it next time?

A: If it's not leaking, the odds are that ...

If it's not leaking, the odds are that it's not going to start leaking. That's, you know, if it is sealed, and if you got it tightened up and it's not leaking.

I've done that many times and they wouldn't leak at all. I would put another one on next time. Just watch it about a week or two from now, and take a look at it. If there is nothing leaking, it is perfectly fine. If it's leaking, then take it off, but forget your finger.

Just get a nice clean oil drain pan, take it off, let it drain out, put a new washer, tighten it up and then out of your clean drain pan, pour it back into the engine. That's what I usually do if I have to do it rather than waste the oil.