Q: Oil buildup in boot

The number two cylinder has a bolt and half of a spark plug in the wire boot and threaded half in engine head. Number three cylinder has oil buildup in the boot recessed area, requiring the selected valve cover gasket replacement.

You are already on the right track with knowing that your Toyota RAV4 will be needing the valve cover gasket replaced. Oil should never enter the spark plug tubes as this can cause damage to the ignition system, mainly to the spark plugs and the ignition wires. Regarding the broken spark plug, this requires the proper tools and the precision of a professional to extract the broken spark plug from the engine without damaging the vehicle’s cylinder head. Because of the seriousness of the repairs, I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and service your Toyota. They will have the experience and tools needed to perform the spark plug extraction as well as replace your valve cover gasket. I also recommend you have them replace all of your spark plugs as well as ignition wires. This will ensure that you don’t have any issues with your ignition system and will help keep your RAV4 running smooth.

3. Oil buildup in boot