Q: Oil and suspension

Hello,

Here are my two issues with the Tiguan,

1) Losing oil: I took it to the dealer and they told me that the VALVE COVER GASKET, camshaft cover, and the TIMING COVER AND/OR GASKET need to be replaced. This is an expensive repair, I just asked for a quote through mymechanic as the dealer was charging me around 1,400 to do that.

My question is, how important is to repair this?

2) Suspension: They found that both ball joints need to be replaced, as well as both stabilizer bar end link.

Again, my question is, how important is to repair this?

Adding everything the dealer is charging me 1,900, plus I need to replace the 4 tires. I am really considering changing my car, although I love it, I am concerned that I might have these or other problems again? Do you think that that can happen again?

Thank you, and my apologies for so many questions.

Regards

A: Hi there. From the description you have pro...

Hi there. From the description you have provided, I am concerned about the diagnosis you have received, being your vehicle has only 52,000 miles. Another inspection is recommended. With oil leaks, sometimes, steam cleaning the engine first would help identify the leaks. The oil leaks should be repaired, monitoring the oil level and adding oil until repairs are performed. Oil travels down, starting at the top is a good place to start (i.e at the valve cover gasket).

The ball joints and the stabilizer bar end links are important to replace if they are worn or bad. They are directly related to the handling and safety of your vehicle and driving on the road.

Once repairs are performed and tires replaced, an alignment is in order. Regular maintenance and failed components are a part of driving a vehicle. I recommend having your vehicle’s oil leak(s) and worn suspension component(s) inspected, diagnosed, and repaired by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic.