Q: occasionally not starting - 2003 Mazda Protege5

My Mazda PR5 intermittently will not start. I changed battery, the battery cables and the starter. But on occasion the car will not start. The car usually starts by the time the tow truck arrives. What should I do now? Do you have any ideas?

A: Hello. You need to start by checking the ig...

Hello. You need to start by checking the ignition system on your vehicle. You need to check for proper spark at the end of the ignition cable. You will also need to check the status and condition of the spark plugs themselves.

If the issue does not pertain to the ignition system, your next step is going to be to check the fuel system and the fuel delivery system. Start with the fuel pump and tap it a few times. Turn the key to accessory and listen for the fuel pump to prime. It will sound like a faint "whirring" sound. At this point, try to start the vehicle again. If you need further help having this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the starting issue and let you know what should be done.