Q: Ocassional starting problems

The car has been having starting difficulties for several years now. This happens randomly every six months or so. There would be cranking but no start. As this happened before, I've noticed that it doesn't matter what the temperature is. It occurs at all possible weather conditions, completely out of the blue. I went to the dealership but they couldn't diagnose it let alone fix it, because it started while it was there. What could be the problem?

A: Hello there. A few different faults can cau...

Hello there. A few different faults can cause the intermittent crank no start condition. A short in the harness, starter, battery cable, or an open in the wiring harness can be the cause for this. Any of these may be an intermittent issue that could cause the random crank no start. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the starting issue and perform any repairs required. Diagnosis of this type of issue may take more time than a constant issue due to potential issues replicating the fault. Try to have the car checked when you expect the problem to occur or soon after you experience the problem.