Q: Not Starting power disconnecting

I just got a new battery for my probe and it ran very well for 4 days. Then I thought the battery died. My meter read 12.7 – 12.8 volts and sometimes the car would have enough power to run the fan and dash lights, but it doesn’t start. I can hear a clicking noise when I try to start it but that’s all. There is no cranking happening. There is some play with the key ignition in acc/on position. When I open the door the beeping quits. When I step on the brake I hear a click. It seems as thought the power is being disconnected. I have been looking for things like corrosion on the lights and checking my fuses. I can’t figure this out. I was told unplugging the brake switch might help stop the draining. Do you have any ideas about this on how to fix it?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1990 Ford Probe. I would start by checking the connection at the battery and at the negative battery cable. If those are fine, then I would do a load test on the alternator. There are also common issues with the fuse box failing or having a bad connection under the fuse box which will cause this.

The ignition switch itself can cause this if it is shorting internally and not turning everything off. If there is nothing obviously left on, and if all of the other items are fine, then I would do a parasitic draw test as that will tell me what is failing.

If you need to have this taken care of, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and perform the needed repairs.