Q: Not shifting up as expected. 1999 Mazda

When driving it selects 1 or 2 and Will start showing hold on the dashboard at that point I will have to stop the car and start it again as several times as drive on the way. Please what is the cause and how do i fix it.

Hello - near or on the shifter is a button marked "Hold". Press this button to release the "gear hold" feature, and return your transmission to normal up-shift behavior. If this does not return normal shifting behavior, check the transmission fluid. If fluid level is correct, I would then recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.