Q: Not running gauges

My van was converted into a camper. One of the first times I drove it died in the road because of a bad alternator and regulator. The fuel and temperature gauge never worked. It was suggested that I remove the instrument panel. I tested the gauge and the ground. I will try the sending unit next. The limiter seemed to be working, but I think I will replace it. The windshield wipers only worked on high after I installed the new alternator. The funny thing was that the wipers speed up as I speed up the van! Is this normal? When I moved the temperature control on the heater from cool to warm the cable was bending, and nothing was pushing into the cable. I tried pushing it with pliers and it broke. I want to replace the old propane tank under the van and get access to auxiliary batteries. Do you have any ideas on how to get my van working again?

A: Wow, there is a lot to do here! For the tem...

Wow, there is a lot to do here! For the temperature gauge - check the sensor for temperature appropriate resistance, proper wiring and ground connections to the gauge.

Yes, speed sensitive wipers were available on this model. As for the temperature control cable break, it sounds like the heater valve at the end of the cable is frozen in one position, in which you would need to have it replaced or rebuilt. And of course, check the alternator and voltage regulator, and the battery(s) for wiring and current-drain issues. A professional from YourMechanic can diagnose the stalling problem and have this issue corrected.