Q: Noise from under car

Our van is making a whirring noise from the rear undercarriage when the car is turned off. The noise lasted for over an hour until I finally disconnected the battery

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The only thing i...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The only thing in the rear of the vehicle that makes a whirring noise would be the fuel pump. It is possible that you have a short in your electrical system that is causing the fuel pump to stay running even when the ignition is off. It is also possible that this short could be inside the ignition switch. I would recommend having the fuel pump circuit and the ignition switch inspected and tested by a certified mechanic to determine if either one of them has and issue. If either one of these systems are faulty, I would recommend having the repairs performed as soon as possible in order to prevent this issue from draining your battery. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.