Q: Noise from front when braking

When I brake I get a clink at front . I jacked car up checked ball joints . Ect ect no play not even in drop links . Just wondering if it's a brake problem

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2006 BMW X3. There are a number of items that could be loose: lug nuts, brake caliper bracket bolts, axle nut, strut mounts, control arm fasteners, or bushings. There are also wireless sensors that you can clip onto various points near where you think the noise is coming from. You switch between each microphone (from a receiver in the cabin) and with that diagnostic, you can pinpoint the area of the noise. This is extremely useful in isolating, for example, wheel bearing noise (left versus right; front versus rear).

A mechanic could use this technique and further advise you. Short of that, you have to use the process of elimination and systematically go through each and every item which represents either a fastener or a wear point in the general area where you are hearing the noise. If you need further help looking into this, have a qualified professional diagnose the noise firsthand to determine the cause.