Q: no key

I was given a free BMW but has no key, worse, a chip key. Is there any way to start it to see if it runs, trans works, etc? I also have a 99 bmw with a key, could I change computer and ing. and make run? Don't want to pay locksmith 200+ to make run if car is no good. Thanks

Hello. The only way to start any vehicle is with a key that matches the ignition cylinder installed in the steering column or dash; which sends an electrical signal to the ignition relay and starter. You should have a professional mechanic replace the ignition cylinder with a new key as opposed to contacting a locksmith, as a mechanic will know how to correctly install.