Q: No fuel pressure at all

Car was sputtering at first like the injectors were clogging up then all of a sudden it seemed like had run out of gas. We checked for fuel pressure at the rail and there is none. But if we spray starting fluid into intake it will start up and run. We checked the fuel pump relay and it's good. It also sounds like the pump is priming.

Thats a good question. You could be correct, however, lets go further back and make sure we can’t get your car fixed a little cheaper than going directly for the fuel pump. My first action would be to check the fuel filter. I believe yours is outside of your fuel tank so it’ll be a little easier for you. And if I’m not mistaken, it’s going to be about a 16mm wrench or 5/8". Take that off and see if it is clogged. I’m hoping this is your issue. If that is good, you can try your inline filter close to your firewall of the cab of your car under the hood. Give that a check and see if it is clogged. While you open these lines I must warn you to use safety glasses to prevent gasoline from getting in your eyes. Open the ends away from the tank. You’ll need to see what they are doing, and if there is free flow. If they are and you still have no pressure, then there may be a chance you need a fuel pump. But I would go ahead and have these other items checked before moving forward with a fuel pump replacement. If you need further help with this sputtering problem, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to assist with this issue.

3. No fuel pressure at all