Q: No dash lights, wont start or turn over, interior lights and stereo work

While driving my golf smoked from the steering column/driver side dash. engine died at same time. when the key turns no sound is made, pulled non stick radio and visually check fuses. even with power to interior lights dash has no lights and gas gauge stays on empty. I plan on testing relays and fuses as well as ignition switch. I really just need to if im in the right direction,

A: My first suggestion is to disconnect the ba...

My first suggestion is to disconnect the battery and take a closer look at the area which you saw the smoke coming out of the dash. This will give you a good clue of which fuse may be going bad. If you are having trouble, one of our professionals can give your a car an electrical inspection and assist you with your starting issue.