Q: No crank seems related to gears - 1995 Chrysler LHS

Car can be started with jumper wire from positive battery terminal to ignition terminal on solenoid. When car is demonstrably in Park, Park light doesn't show up on gear indicator light on dashboard, or all lights stay lit. Is there a way to adjust the dashboard lights? We have tried jacking it up, loosening shifter cable, manually pushing gear into park, putting gear shifter into park, tightening shifter cable, lower car and rocking it to make sure parking sprag is engaged, still no start. To adjust it in any other gear than park would require removing plastic housing over gear shift. Is there a better way to try to synch gear shift and gears? If it sounds like a bad neutral safety switch, exactly how do you get to it on my car? Is there anything else we should try?

Hello. The neutral safety switch on your transmission (42LE) is internal to the transmission mounted on the valve body itself. To access and replace it, this requires dropping the transmission pan. There is a 10-pin plug going in through the side of the pan which the switch is attached. Are you sure it’s the switch that is bad. You’ll want to check if there’s power from the ignition switch to the neutral switch wiring. I would check these before dropping the pan. If you want to have this looked at by a pro, a qualified technician from YourMechanic can go to your car’s location to inspect the shifting problem and follow through with appropriate repairs.