Q: No crank related to shifter cable?

Now my 1995 Chrysler LHS no crank seems related to the shift cable. The other day it wouldn't start, and I put it in neutral and rolled it a couple of feet, no change, rolled it a whole car length and it started right up. We are trying to adjust the gear shift cable, but can't get the gear selector light to show it in a single gear - all the lights stay lit. My partner has loosened the gear shift cable, jacked up the car, pushed the gear thing into Park (rearmost position), then lowered the car and rocked it a bit to engage parking sprag, then tightened shift cable, but it is not starting. We believe it is in park. Any advice?

If the cable has stretched, the position at the transmission, and the position shown on the shifter may not be the same. If possible, disconnect the cable at the transmission. Then shift the transmission to neutral by hand. Once this is done, put the shifter lever into the neutral position, and see if the cable lines up to the mount without having to push or pull on it. If it doesn’t slip on with very little effort, the cable could have stretched and need to be replaced. If you would like to have this problem scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the hard starting and assist with repair.