Q: No coolant in fill bottle

I just drove my daughters Holden Astra (in australia) and I noticed the temperate gauge go a little over half. I drove about 4 minutes to get home and it stayed on a little over half but when I checked water flll bottle at home it was empty. There is not radiator cap only fills up from fill bottle. Could I have done any damage to the motor if there was no water in system at all? I am waiting on it to cool down then will put coolant in.

Anne

Also my daughter said that gauge normally sits on half. Car has only been driven twice in last 5 weeks.

3. No coolant in fill bottle