Q: No 1st

Automatic wont start in drive and wont shift to 1st gear I have to start in 2nd then manually shift to drive . Does have reverse and takes off better backwards.

The transmission valve body including the electronically controlled shift solenoids (if so equipped in that year) are the principal components that you would look at first. If those are OK, it is possible you have an internal hydraulic leak (causing loss of required pressure) due to failed rubber seals and/or o-rings. Sometimes valve body repairs can be done with the transmission still in the car. Internal hydraulic leaks would generally require removal and a complete transmission overhaul. Using pressure testing equipment, you can probably perform a partial diagnosis using FSM pressure specifications. YourMechanic can perform the diagnosis and guide you to the best, least costly option for repairs.