Q: New timing belt needed

Yesterday, my dealership told me that my car needs a new timing belt due to the fact that the rubber belt dries/rots over time. He also told me that the engine could be seriously damaged if the belt were to break. This seems like very odd information to me. I've searched the owner's manual and visited Acura online and I just don't find anything like what he told me. Any advice you can give on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

The scheduled mileage for the timing belt replacement on your engine is at 120,000 miles for normal driving conditions. There are no times given but I would say the mileage is based on about 12,000 miles per year, and this is 10 years. You are at the 10 years now. This may be why the mechanic recommended it.

The engine can get internal damage if the belt breaks by bending valves and damaging pistons. I would recommend replacing the timing belt and water pump along with all the accessory belts at the same time.

3. New timing belt needed