Q: New starter spins but won't engage after harmonic balancer,timing cover,chain,gears,head gaskets,valve cover gaskets,water pump...

I replaced the head gaskets,valve cover gaskets,intake manifold gaskets,rebuilt the carb,did an oil change,tune up,trans pan gasket and filter, harmonic balancer,timing chain,gears and cover,fuel pump,water pump and now the starter but the starter only spins and will not engage and turn the engine over

Be sure that the engine will turn over easily by hand. Use an appropriate socket and wrench and turn the crankshaft pulley bolt clockwise. You should only feel the compression resistance (if there are no plugs installed, it should turn very easily). If the engine turns over, the starter motor functions, but the starter pinion gear drive won’t extend and engage with the flywheel ring gear, then the starter is defective. The solution is to replace the starter. To cover that and any other start-up problems, if you like you can request a no start diagnostic and a mechanic will perform all the necessary diagnostics and repairs to get your vehicle running. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. New starter spins but won't engage after harmonic balancer,timing cover,chain,gears,head gaskets,valve cover gaskets,water pump...